Crafting strong and secure divorce strategies.
Every divorce case is as unique as the individual’s circumstances. At Miller Law Group, P.C., our approach starts with customizing our strategy to fit our client’s situation. During our initial consultation, we talk about your circumstances, your personal goals, and a summary of your financial situation.
Once we've had the chance to get to know you and your goals in divorce, we often recommend the following strategies:
- Be careful about communications with your spouse. Assume all written communications will be used against you in court and that anything you say is being recorded. Avoid arguments or fights of any kind.
- Don’t move out of your home prior to talking with your lawyer. If you do, you could hurt your chances later of keeping the family home, retaining access to financial resources, or getting parenting time with your children. If any of those are part of your long-term goals,
- Subpoena employment records to verify your spouse’s salary, bonus and overtime income.
- Perform a name search with the Registry of Deeds. Double check there are no other properties listed under your spouse’s name.
- Cross check your children’s attendance records with the parenting schedule to be sure the other parent is bringing the children to school on time. The same goes with making sure they don’t miss extracurricular events or sporting events.
- If you are seeking more parenting time and find yourself being challenged, document your spouse’s unreasonableness. All your emails, text messages or other forms of written communication are admissible in court and show your spouse’s lack of cooperation. Judges are concerned about how much of a role you play in your children’s lives. Be sure to participate in parent-teacher conferences, appointments, and call your children’s friends’ parents to arrange sleep-overs or getaways.
- Perform a social media inventory on the opposing party prior to filing. Take screen shots of all of the postings in their social media account history to gather pictures and statements that can be used to help you during the trial.
- Beware of any sudden pre-divorce spending sprees. Some spouses believe that increasing their spending during marriage (just before separation or not) can inflate the family lifestyle and justify an increase in child support or in alimony.
- Check the Secretary of State website. This will show whether your spouse is listed on any corporations as an officer or owner.
Aim for the Best Possible Result. Get Miller Law Group.
Whether you have just begun your search for an attorney or are considering changing divorce attorneys, we encourage you to contact the Massachusetts divorce lawyers at Miller Law Group, P.C. for a free evaluation of your case.
You want a successful outcome and so do we, so contact us to learn about your legal rights in a divorce!
You can bet that your firm has a customer for life.Rob
I appreciated your transparency and ability to manage the court room.Robert B.
"I interviewed many attorneys for my divorce case and knew that I made the right decision the moment I spoke with my attorney from your firm."Anonymous Father
With Miller Law Group by your side, we will always put your family first.
We've Handled Hundreds of Cases
We Have Almost 100 Years of Combined Experience
We're Dedicated to World-Class Experience
We Have Multiple Convenient Meeting Locations
Get Answers to Your Most Important Questions
Plan Ahead with These Divorce Planning Tips