Paternity Lawyers in Massachusetts
Understanding the Importance of Paternity
Establishing paternity grants a person legal guardianship of a child. This can have a profound impact on matters such as child support, custody, and parenting plans. In some situations, paternity is assumed. For example, if a woman is married and has a child, her husband is assumed to be the legal father. To prove otherwise would require genetic testing for paternity. There is also something called a “voluntary acknowledgment of paternity” which is a document two people can sign to establish the legal father, regardless of whether the man is the biological father.
If you need to establish paternity, we invite you to contact us for a free case evaluation. Or, call us right now at (508) 502-7002.
Benefits of Establishing a Legal Father
There are many legal and relational benefits to establishing paternity through genetic testing.
- Women can file petitions for child support
- Legal fathers can file petitions for parenting plans or custody
- Both parents can work together to make important decisions about the child’s future
- Children benefit from knowing both parents, which can build self-esteem, confidence, and a sense of identity.
- Children can get to know their paternal grandparents and family members on their biological father’s side.
- Fathers get the benefit of enjoying fatherhood, regardless of the relationship with the child's mother.
There are also potential health benefits. For example, by determining the biological father, the child’s doctors can have a complete view of the child’s genetic history and any diseases or conditions to which he or she might be prone.
Contacting Our Massachusetts Family Lawyers
Our firm is comprised of over a dozen different attorneys, paralegals, and others who are ready to help you with your paternity case. Since we have experience in most nearby courts, we know how each judge handles cases and will use our experience for the benefit of your case. While we cannot guarantee a specific outcome, we can guarantee that we will take every step needed to work towards success for you.
Contact us today for a free review of your case: (508) 502-7002.