Massachusetts Family Law Attorneys
Back to Top
What If My Spouse Is Disobeying Court Orders?

What Can I Do If My Spouse Is Disobeying Court Orders?

Getting a Spouse to Follow Divorce Court Orders

What are you supposed to do if your spouse isn’t complying with court-ordered alimony or support? Take them back to court. Spouses can file a contempt action, also known as a an enforcement action. Your spouse is going to be brought before the court and most likely will be ordered sanctions to pay, your attorney’s fees and, after maybe one—at most two—warnings and they don’t pay, they’ll get a toothbrush and off to jail they go, usually with a purge amount. What’s a purge amount? The amount your spouse has to come up with in order to get out of jail.

In our experience, non-compliant spouses usually take two or three hours to come up with the required money. But if you don’t hold them accountable, and you don’t let your spouse know that you will take them back, they are going to walk all over you.

Contact Us for a Free Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.