What Are Some Tax Implications of Divorce?
Understanding How Divorce Affects Taxes
The tax ramifications of divorce are key. When it comes to divorce, both parties have to think logically, not emotionally. This is a perfect example of why.
There are implications of tax issues when it comes to divorce:
- Filing status is an issue
- The exemptions for the dependents is an issue
- When there’s a home sale, you are going to have capital gains tax issues
- There’s the liability of past joint returns
- There’s the issue of the transfer of retirement funds through QDROs
You need to look at the tax issues because it may reduce what you think you’re getting. You need to be financially prepared and be educated to all the issues when it comes to divorce.