Massachusetts Family Law Attorneys

How Do I Get a Divorce from a Spouse Overseas?

Somethings in life can wait, but divorce is not always one of them. If you’ve decided that you need a divorce from your spouse, it can feel important to get it done as soon as possible. Having this feeling is understandable—sometimes, the only thing between you and a new start can be finalizing your divorce!  

However, if you’re deployed with any branch of the United States military or are married to someone who is overseas, you might be wondering about the options that you have for divorce. Getting a divorce while you or your spouse is deployed can be difficult but not impossible. As with many legal matters, many factors can influence your divorce, and working with the right military divorce attorney will help you work towards the right outcome. 

Call Miller Law Group, P.C. today for help with your military divorce involving someone that is deployed. We’re ready to listen to your situation and help you take the next steps during a free initial consultation at (508) 502-7002

Filing for Divorce in Massachusetts While Deployed 

If you want a divorce while deployed in another country overseas, you have options. Notably, it might be in your best interest to wait until you’re back in the United States to file for your divorce. If you’d like to start the process as soon as possible, working with an attorney who can act on your behalf might be an option for you. However, it’s important to pick an attorney that you trust because they’ll have to act on your behalf during important divorce proceedings. Waiting until you’ve returned from your deployment will allow you to be as involved as possible throughout the process. 

If you don’t anticipate that your divorce will be contested, filing for one while deployed might seem like a simple decision. Yet, it’s still crucial that you speak with a Massachusetts military divorce lawyer before taking further steps. Our Massachusetts military divorce lawyers are ready to look at your situation and help you make the best decisions throughout this sometimes complicated process. 

Filing for Divorce from a Deployed Military Member 

If you’re the spouse of a military member who is deployed and want to file for divorce, the process can be difficult. During a civilian divorce, the person who wishes to separate from their spouse files to do so. Then, the other spouse is served with divorce papers and receives a certain amount of time to respond. Just as with civilian divorce, a military divorce must be filed by the person who wants it and then the other party must be served with a notification. Unlike a civilian divorce, military members might have an extended amount of time to respond to a divorce filing, especially if they are overseas or deployed.  

First, a law called the Service Members Civil Relief Act protects a deployed servicemember from family law issues such as child support, property division, and more. In other words, even if someone files for divorce from their deployed spouse, they might not be able to proceed with the process until that person is back in the country. Second, it might be impossible to serve divorce papers to a deployed military member if their location is classified or difficult to reach.  

The best way to find out more about divorces involving deployed military members is to call Miller Law Group, P.C. at (508) 502-7002. An initial consultation with one of our experienced Massachusetts military divorce lawyers is free of charge so you can easily discover your options.