Massachusetts Family Law Attorneys

What Are Your Options If Your Spouse Isn’t Paying Child Support?

A child support order is a legal obligation—there are serious penalties if the non-custodial parent doesn’t pay. If your spouse isn’t paying you the child support that was legally ordered, the law stands behind you by enforcing child support payments. Today’s blog talks about what you can do to secure the financial support your child deserves.

Federal Law on Child Support Enforcement

If a parent willfully fails to pay child support that has been ordered by the court, they are subject to federal prosecution if their child lives out of state, a payment is past due for over a year, or their missed payments exceed $5,000. A violation of this law is considered a criminal misdemeanor, so the convicted offender can face fines and up to 6 months in prison. They are also unable to leave the country if they intend to avoid paying child support that has been past due.

"How Can I Enforce a Child Support Order?"

You can file a Complaint for Contempt form to leverage the law to force your spouse to pay child support. This may require you to take him or her to court, depending on the situation. Once you do that, the court is authorized to place a lien on your former spouse’s personal property, increase the amount withheld by 25 percent, or seize their assets. This ensures that you and your child gets what they rightfully deserve.

The Department of Revenue can also enforce a support order by:

  • Levying their bank account
  • Charging interest and penalties
  • Suspending driver’s license

It is vital to contact a child support attorney to help you through the process. Miller Law Group, P.C. has experienced Longmeadow child support attorneys that can answer all your questions and represent your case with maximum efficiency and cost-effectiveness. Review your options in a free consultation today.