Free Consultation 508-502-7002

What Can I Do If My Spouse Isn't Complying With Court-Ordered Alimony?

If your spouse is missing alimony payments, you don’t have to put up with it. Learn about enforcing court-ordered spousal support from the attorneys at Miller Law Group, P.C.

Your divorce case has finally come to a close and, either by negotiation or order of the judge, you now have an alimony order in place. The last thing you want to worry about is digging up the past, but now your ex is refusing to pay the court-ordered alimony. What do you do?

Spouses who are getting the short end of the stick in terms of missed or under-paid alimony do have legal recourse. If the judge has not already done so, you can file for an enforcement of court orders.

Court-ordered alimony is not optional. If your spouse is refusing to pay or has fallen behind on payments, there are multiple enforcement options that the court can take to get you the alimony money you deserve, including:

  • Sending your ex an Order to Pay Spousal Support
  • Driver’s license suspension
  • Wage garnishment
  • Tax refund interception
  • Incarceration

It is important to note that just as only courts can implement these orders, only courts can change them. If your ex is refusing to pay alimony or has fallen behind on his or her payments, you cannot take matters into your own hands. The best recourse is to contact an experienced alimony lawyer who can coordinate with the court that issued the order to initiate enforcement actions.

Miller Law Group, P.C. is here to help you understand your rights and enforce them in court. If you are dealing with an alimony issue that needs enforcement, or any other family court order in need of enforcement, we invite you to contact us today for a free legal evaluation to learn how we can help!

Related Posts
  • How Much Does a Divorce Attorney Cost? Read More
  • 7 Quirky Massachusetts Family Laws Still on the Books Read More
  • Child Support & Incarceration—Do You Have to Pay While in Jail? Read More